MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course) have been widely publicized as a new learning model that could impact the future of higher education. While the field is rapidly evolving, and the implications for institutions are unclear, it is undeniable that they are a disruptive innovation that could have a lasting effect on the industry.
Want the short version? Check out the Scribd “MOOCs, The Snapshot Version” below, or download your own copy from Google Drive HERE.
Who are the major MOOC providers? Find a list of the big players here:
In September 2012 I was fortunate to be part of a team that put together a proposal for a MOOC in Developmental Education Mathematics (Pre-Algebra level) at Cuyahoga Community College through the Gates Foundation. It was designed using game mechanics, and initial data has indicated impressive results (18% success as opposed to a national average of about 5 – 10%, and this with a population that doesn’t have previous advanced degrees!)
MOOCs: Snap Back to Reality, Oops There Goes Gravity
Check out information on the project here. Interested in checking it out for yourself? Look for the CCC MOOC on CourseSites.
What about a LOOC (Large Open Online Course)? Or a SPOC (Small Private Online Course)? (Frankly, the rest of us call a SPOC just a plain old online class at a community college or some other low-cost or free option!)
Educause makes some great shorts about various topics. This is their take on the MOOC and possible implications in higher education:
Find MOOC model-related resources and info below.
Interested in facilitating an xMOOC?
Check out this now dated (insert throat clearing here) video explaining MOOC by one of the originals that coined the word. What he is describing is now commonly referred to as a cMOOC – a constructivist, networked, highly participatory MOOC.
- Tri-C’s MOOC: www.tri-c.edu/MOOC
- Educause’s collection of MOOC-related resources: http://www.educause.edu/library/massive-open-online-course-mooc
- Sasha’s collection of eLearning 2.0 resources: http://tinyurl.com/eLearnMOOC
- California’s SB 520 Fact Sheet https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/618025-california-sb-520-fact-sheet.html
- eLi’s blog: www.eLearningandinnovation.com
- Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) | EDUCAUSE.edu
- MOOCs: Top 10 Sites for Free Education With Elite Universities
- Massively Open Online Courses: MOOC
- Adaptive MOOC: The Next Revolution in Online Education – YouTube
- Online Education, Udacity, MOOC, Open Ed – YouTube
- What is a MOOC? – YouTube
- This really explains a cMOOC (based on connectivism rather than traditional learning).
- tags: cMOOC MOOCS connectivist Online mooc Learning connectivism
- xMOOC | All MOOCs, All The Time
- The MOOC Guide
- Explore a New Learning Frontier: MOOCs by Inge de Waard : Learning Solutions Magazine
- MOOC Resources | Center for Teaching Learning
- Democratizing Higher Education
- Distance Learning Has Been Around Since 1892, You Big MOOC – Forbes
- How to Succeed in a Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) by Apostolos Koutropoulos & Rebecca J. Hogue : Learning Solutions Magazine
- In Colleges’ Rush to Try MOOC’s, Faculty Are Not Always in the Conversation – Technology – The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.